Total Pageviews

Friday, April 22, 2011

Say Something or Say good nonsense :P

I have officially become a fan of Arjun KG's writing style. I just read this amazing post on his blog about a Wedding, an MP3 player and good food. Though I had no idea what he wanted to say, I liked it :P


THAT'S my point. I, infact enjoy meaningless conversations and I cant get enough of 'em. But for me, whenever you create something, its gotta say something. Or, it has to be entertaining enough that no-one cares to look for a message (just like Arjun's post --> http://kgarjun.blogspot.com/2011/04/family-function-oh-food.html)

This is precisely the problem I have with many songs today. For me, music is something really special. Music definitely catches everyone's attention. Music makes things sound more catchy. Music makes people remember things better. Thats why most companies have jingles. They hope that their jingle is catchy enough to get stuck in you're brain, so you probably remember their company the next time you go shopping.

Music... anything with a rhythm and a tune... activates most parts of you're brain. If you are a true music fan, then you  really "lose yourself in the music..." sometimes. (See what I did there? :P) Music would also be very useful in teaching. --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j50ZssEojtM

I didnt know anything about "Higgs Boson" before I heard that awesome rap by AlpineKat. Now, I pretty much get the idea, thanks to her and Im pretty damn sure that I wouldnt have understood what I know now if a scientist had tried to explain that to me in a conventional way.

Why do you think....that when two people have an "insult-off" (its crazy, but it happens) the guy who disses with a rhythm and a few rhymes is more likely to win?! Coz he's catchy....even if he dissed himself, no one would notice it (If he's lucky). Thats probably why Rap battles are really popular all over the American continent.

Now, such an amazing way of saying things SHOULD NOT be abused. Which brings me back to the problem I have with most of today's songs. (Note : This problem is rampant only in Western Songs... Mostly Hip Hop and Rap. Lets just stick to that okay?!)

Now, lets analyze our modern music. Love songs are all fine. If the songwriter describes the beauty/character of his/her love, Id love to listen to that song.

The point is, something relevant has to be said. Something ALL of us can relate to as special.

Now lets look at the "defaulter". 1st song that comes to my mind when anyone says "meaningless song" is Rebecca Black's "Friday".

The song is about a girl, who for some reason, loves fridays. Now most songs have a decision point. Where the singer makes some decision in the story told by the song. Guess what's the decision to be made here??  Its whether Rebecca should sit in the front seat of the car, or the back seat.

Seriously, kid.... NO-ONE FREAKING CARES!

And please, all those sympathizers, dont give me any BS now. You know the song sucks. Stop asking me to stop hating. Stop telling me she "has talent" and needs better songwriters and that then, she'll do fine.

Let her do that. Then I'll stop hating.

Now let's stick to Hip Hop/Rap. The genre that most of these garbage songs. People closer to me will tell you that I LOVE RAP. True. But I dont like MOST of the rap songs we get today.

I think Rap is catchy.... and with good lyrical content, it's a great genre. Unfortunately, most of the rappers suck. Lets take a look at one very popular rapper.... "Lil Wayne". HE SUCKS. HE actually has a good flow and good rhymes.... unfortunately, nothing that I care about. Every Single song he does is about  is "unquenchable lust" as I like to call it. It's always about something sexual with some "hot *****". THATS the reason I dont listen to him any more.(Note: Ivent even listened to ONE of his songs completely.... I always close it getting disgusted either by what he says or his voice). He says his songs are about love. They are NOT. The mood he brings into Jay Sean's "Down" and every other song he does, is not LOVE.


The fact is MOST of today's raps are like that. Its never anything different. Or if it is, Its just some other meaningless crap. Rap was originally intended for people to say something... just like all genres, and like all others, it has lost its way too.

Which is why I say there are only 3 REAL rappers today. Only 3 guys who rap about what they believe in or make inspirational songs. or REAL love songs. They are (in increasing order of Awesomeness)

                                          Immortal Technique
                                          Eminem
                                          ME! :D

I wish.... so, there's actually only 2. Eminem, according to me is THE best! No one even comes close. (Thats ofcourse, today's rappers. All rappers who came close or were better have all sadly, died)

Eminem makes songs about his struggle with drugs, he responds to his critics, and he does it in a really funny way. Its not that he hasnt made meaningless songs. He HAS. But they're so awesome that no one even cares.

Like Flo Rida's "Low". Its about a girl in a club whom he wants to "take home". Again....shitty but great music makes this a song Id listen to often.

Which is exactly what I want to tell the world. My "message" is this. Say Something. Give a message, or talk about your life, your struggles or the people who make you feel real bad and respond to them in whatever you're doing. And if you decide you have nothing to say, then some something in such an awesome way that people really dont care WHAT you said.

Which, I think, is kinda what Arjun did in his blog :D Atleast, thats what I could infer.

Right now, Ive gotta go run watch the CSK vs MI match Vishal's been giving me some really good updates :)

Cheers!
Adios, Amigos!
Sir Vikas (Thanks for the title, Neeksi :P)

4 comments:

  1. Didn't intend my post to be entertaining (didn't know it was till you told me :P ) but DEFINITELY didn't intend it to have a message :P Random thoughtless writing only... And this post is Awesome :D This one has a Message AND is Entertaining :)
    Keep Going :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Arjun,
    Have I ever told you I'm so very proud of you.

    And yippeee. I get to flaunt you around as my..Nvm.

    Vikas, Loved the post. And YES. I'm so with you when it comes to 'Friday'. I just had to stand my cousin sing the entire thing to me. From Delhi. Over a phoen call. *LIKE* this post. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! "Lose yourself in the music.." Lol..!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Arjun... Thanks so much!
    @Neeksi Thank you too... and Your Cousin likes the song?! o.O

    ReplyDelete