Total Pageviews

Wednesday, March 16, 2016

A letter to my best friends

Dear Best Friends,

Firstly, I apologize for this bullshit cliche. These "letter to best friend" things have been going on for too long now, but I promise this one is different.

This isn't to one person, Its to two- Two people who've absolutely changed the way I am, who did this in ways so unique and different, that I've challenged myself to write a single letter to the both of you, in a way that it means something to you both.

A lot of people dismiss the idea of having "two best friends". "They cant mean exactly the same to you" some say. Some tell me that the one I knew earlier is bound to be closer to me. Some ask me who I met later and suggest that the other friend  was getting replaced. If only they knew.

You came to me in a place very unfamiliar to me. I was not a person who hadn't tasted success, or a socially awkward introvert when I met you, but I was definitely questioning myself. And there, in the distance, I saw you.

I must confess, I didn't plan for this to happen. I wasn't planning on getting so close, and during my first interaction with you, I never expected you'd mean so much to me. I wasn't the one who came up and spoke to you. I had to be prodded into this, but you know what? Thank you for taking those first steps.

This relationship we share would probably have not happened if it wasn't for you. As I sit back and think about our friendship, I can only question how this happened. I dont remember putting too much effort into this and that is what surprises me. Did you hold my hand and guide me through this? Or are you as surprised by how this has progressed? Do you, like myself, question whether you deserve this friendship?


I remember you telling me that you don't think you've done much for me, and that makes me slightly angry.

Some of my most emotional moments, I've shared with you. There are things that I've done, that I wouldn't have dreamed of doing, only because of you- not because you asked me to, or because you did these things but because fundamentally, you made me introspect.

You showed me what it meant to love, and what heartbreak felt like. You showed me your dreams and nightmares; your likes and dislikes, what you loved and what you hated. You shared with me little stories of things that made you happy, things that made you sad; things that made you angry and things that made you cry. You told me about your other friends, people you liked, people you were jealous of and people you hated, With every story you told me, and every word you spoke, you showed me a little of yourself, and every time you did that, I found a part of me that I didn't know existed.

Everything Ive had to say individually to you, I've probably said it in the dozens of long emo messages that Ive sent you on private chat, and this is something I wanted to get to.

Because you did what you did, I found a wonderful outlet to be myself. Not just a politically charged perennially bitter social analyst or something but an actual human being. With you, I could finally be myself. I could talk about those little things that would seem incredibly insignificant to anyone but me. And you would always get it. You'd understand and make it incredibly easy for me, and that is why you know me better than anyone else. My dreams, my fears, my insecurities, you know them all, and some of them, I didnt even have to tell you.

We're incredibly different people, and I understand that as well as you do. We dont always have the same tastes. We don't react to situations the same way, and we may even have polar opposite views or opinions on a few things. Views that we may not just disagree with, but dislike. There are certain things that we say that might have offended each other purely because of the way we said it. And hence, our relationship isnt one based on "Oh look, we like the exact same things". Sure, there are similarities, but thats not the reason we're close. You don't appeal to me because you're like me, but because you make it ridiculously easy for me to be different.

And that is why I love you.

Thank you for choosing me. Thank you for letting me be your friend,

I could end this asking you to stay with me forever, but after every thing you've done, it seems unfair of me to ask for more, so I'll end this with a promise.

I cannot promise that I'll stay in touch forever, I really wish we could talk to each other every day for the rest of our lives, but life is bound to take us in different paths, and different ways and leave us with little time for each other, I cannot promise a phone call or a text every day, or a meet up every few months. I know that all of that is easier said than done.

But what I can promise you is this: I'm never letting you go. We could go months, even years without talking, but the second you need a friend, Ill be right beside you. The only way you'll "lose me" is if you shut me from your life, and let's not kid ourselves: that isn't happening.

Thank you for making me find myself once again. You have no idea what you mean to me, and when I say I love you, I really do mean it.

1 comment: