Total Pageviews

Sunday, October 21, 2012

#Revolution

(I wrote this post 3 months back, but never published it for some reason. In light of Vishal's epic new blogpost (http://scanmysoul.blogspot.in/2012/10/how-were-inhibiting-our-own-growth.html), I think it's time I let this one out)


Statement: "Im gonna join politics"

Responses: "Thu"
"LOL"

"Are you crazy?"
"WTF?"
"Dont. Its full of bad people and they'll make you bad"
"Dont. Its full of bad people and they will kill you"
"Dont. Its full of bad people and people will brand you as bad"

"Dont. Just one good person like you can't do much"

My Response To The Responses

I have problems, and I'm out seeking to solve them.

As an individual, I've been frustrated with the amount of "India Hate" everywhere. It seems like the outside world respects our country more than we do. We whine about corruption, lack of technology, creativity, a stupid education system, lack of respect for the environment and that's all we do. We whine.

Brodha V, one of India's most popular rap artists had posted a status update that went something along the lines of congratulating everyone who went abroad to work,study or settle. There were quite a few fan boys echoing his sentiments and just one particular guy who tried to stand up, but got gang-raped by the rest of the people out there. Brodha V, in one of his comments, even said something along the lines of "Dont give me that 'ask what you can do for your country crap". Another comment on the thread went along the lines of "Im out of this sh*thole as soon as I can"- obviously a reference to our country.

While I respect his music, his talent and am a big fan like everybody else, there's this attitude (which I don't blame him for having) that he has about our country that is shared by millions and millions of our 1 billion plus population.

Let's take a look at it this way. India is a democracy. An imperfect one, but a democracy nonetheless. In a democracy, people have the right to vote, right to (indirectly) take part in the decision making progress and the administrative progress through elections, campaigns, protests etc. People ALSO have the right to directly get involved and participate in elections by contesting. So what should you be doing if you have a problem with the way our country is run? What should you be doing if you are all-so-knowledgeable and know how to handle a country with more than a billion voices and a billion emotions? Please, our county needs you more than ever. Come save us.

Unlike a few people, I do not congratulate the people who go away. I commend their skill in getting a job in a foreign company. Pah! What an achievement. I'm in awe at their intelligence which helped them secure a job in the best universities around the world. Amazing. It takes a lot of hard work. If you're going out there for personal achievements, higher salaries, freedom from parents and "hot chicks/guys", go ahead. If you're leaving because you think the standards of living are higher somewhere else, or that India 'sucks' due to various reasons and that our country can never be improved, I laugh at you.

I'm not angry with you or disappointed with you, because at the end of the day, its your decision but I laugh at you. I laugh at your stupidity, I laugh at your ignorance and I laugh at your cowardice.

One of the worst things that anybody can do in their lives is to run away from their problems, and there are quite a few people doing this.

A few years ago, one of the biggest superstars the western music industry has ever had and a very controversial singer passed away. He went by the name "Michael Jackson". Guess who performed the preliminary autopsy? Lakshmanan Sathyavagiswaran.

Yes, yes. Indian only. In fact, he graduated from Madras University. I have no personal gripe against this dude. He's obviously amazingly talented, Chief Medical Examiner whatever of Los Angeles and all, But I just look back to how this skill would have helped our country. How many people would have benefited from the skills of this man. We spent our resources on him for 20+ years of his life, giving him everything from teachers to study material to food. All that input given by our country is helping another country.

Again, his choice, whatever, but you want to know why India is in such a "pathetic" state? Because none of you have the balls to stay here and try and build our country. Our country's development potential has not reached it's saturation point. Our country isn't complete yet. There are tons of bricks to be added to this building and frankly, the reason the construction never ends is because the ones who are supposed to build it, are spending their time whining or running away to work on another "more attractive" construction project.

I hope you guys get the analogy.

So what is my solution to this? Simple. Let's break it down shall we?

What do we need to do? - Build our country.
What are we doing?        - Nothing
What should we do?       - Build.

Easy.

If you want this country to improve, stay here and help it improve. There are tons of ways to do this, but the obvious and most direct way of having ANY kind of actual impact in this country is if we replace the insensitive governments with sensitive ones. The reason Anna Hazare will never get the success he wants unless he directly joins politics is because the political parties at the top, no matter how much they seem to hate each other, put aside their differences against this "common enemy"

How brilliant would it be if the political parties put aside their differences for the developing the nation, instead of playing their silly games in a desperate attempt to try and look good in front of those who don't ask questions?

The only way we can get that type of people at the top is if there's a radical change in the mindset of the politicians at the top (and if any one of you readers can get that to happen, please do so) or if we vote in a new set of people who aren't afraid to take the right decisions even if it will lead to a loss of votes, people who aren't afraid to speak up, knowledgeable people (not necessarily educated) who are willing to make a change and who want to see a change happen.

I know a lot of people who'd fit the bill perfectly (Natteri, for instance) but these guys lack the will to get involved actively. There needs to be a catalyst. Someone who'll step up and get things started in the hope that like minded people will join instead of calculating the probability of climbing this mountain.

That was exactly my thought process when I decided to do this. The few AU delegates at SANMUN 12 and a few others from my school would have already heard about it, but it's done. I've decided. Im going to join politics. Start my own political party and actively try to bring about a change in our country.

To my readers, I hope you will not be one of those too scared to take a step forward, I plead for your support coz no one can do this alone. Wait until 2022. The Revolution takes it's form then, but the movement starts now.

Im not sure if we'll ever succeed, but you're never gonna score a goal if you don't take a shot.

"Be the change you want to see in the world"- Mahatma Gandhi.

Jai Hind.  

19 comments:

  1. macha! great step da!i can see a the devolepment of youth power.please never give up.i'll also support you.nice one :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am with you bro.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! First of all, this is a great article. Congrats! Secondly, I completely agree with you. Politics is always associated with corruption, and this mindset will change only if people who want to do some good for the society become politicians themselves.Instead of just complaining about the inefficiency of the government and waiting for the "somebody" to bring about a change in society, its high time we became that "somebody".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys :)

    And yes, Ramya, that was my point precisely. Im trying to become that "somebody". Thankful to have your support. Please share this with as many people as possible

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm really glad I read this. I don't know you, but every word here made so much sense that I just had to comment.

    Us Indians, we really don't seem to appreciate the little things about our country. We talk about pollution, we talk about not obeying traffic rules and we talk about how there's litter everywhere. The same person I guarantee, that points out those flaws, is the one adding to India's miseries.

    I'm not a politically involved person at all, but I'm glad a youth is stepping up and claiming responsibility. If anything runs, let me know, I wouldn't mind helping you publicize whatever event you needed. Remember, the first few steps to making effective social change will ruffle a few feathers but accomplishing social change will be the biggest reward.
    Good job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the support Rhea :)

      While I am glad that I have your support, it is a bit sad Im not getting too many "politically involved" people here. They are a necessity to actually get this working. So the first help I ask of you is to publicize this post and share it with as many people as possible. I hope I do get a few people willing to get down and work :)

      Delete
  6. I already have, with a few of my facebook friends that I think would be equally inspired by this as I am.
    Yeah I'm not involved YET because there's not too many things one can do for their country when they aren't even in the country. However, I would love to someday become politically active and serve my country. I'll be sure to spread the word.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And, I'm happy again :) :P Thanks for the support. The last comment wasn't meant to attack, sorry if it sounded a bit curt.

      Delete
  7. No, of course not. Why, did my comment sound like a retort? No, we're just two people having a healthy discussion about their country. No offense intended or taken, at all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No probs. Looking back, I just thought that my comment could be taken offensively. Thats all :)

      Thank you again :)

      Delete
  8. While I was reading this my jaws literally dropped. It was like you snatched away words from my mouth. Every word in this connects to my opinions so well.
    Being a Female, I have had a set of different responses every time I have mentioned that I might want to join Politics:
    "It's filled with filthy people"
    "There is no scope for a women in Indian Politics" "
    "They will use and throw you away."
    "They will suppress you"
    "You go against them; those illiterate people will rape you and ruin your life."
    And surprisingly most of them came from my own parents and family members.
    No one has ever. I repeat EVER. Been like, "That's a fantastic idea." The problem is, people don't want to be engaged in it themselves and then they stop others from trying it. They do this by scaring them.
    I have friends in India who complain. Complain about the corruption, the dirty roads, and the illiteracy. And when I ask them, why don’t they do something about it? all of them have the same answer, "One person won't make a difference." All they can offer is excuses.
    That one person can pair up with another and those two can pair with another two, and this would form a huge support system from single units.
    We come from a country that has a population of about 1.2 BILLION people. I am pretty sure there are hundreds, even thousands of youths like us.
    I personally applaud your initiative. All I want to say is that you have my full support.
    Let’s do this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, most of the responses I got were from family members too. The point is parents don't see politics as an attractive "career option". There are hardly few people supporting these kinds of jobs. Hell, you wouldn't be encouraged much even if you said you wanted to join the army (I actually did tell my parents that once). And even though serving the country as a military personnel is ultimate honor. Their love for you is too great. They want you to lead a comfortable life, with loads of money and not many problems, which you WOULDNT get if you joined politics. Cant blame your parents for loving you too much, I guess.

      Thanks for the support though, I really need all of this. It's true that similar minded people can make a difference together. It's all I've wanted to do :)

      Delete
    2. I completely understand our parent’s perspective, they care for us. They can't bear the fact that their children are going to choose the hard way and most probably may not make it. They don't want us to struggle. I love them for that. But I also love India. And I have seen corruption, live. Not big scandals. But yes corruption to an extent. Citizens, who are supposed to build our nation, are the ones making it dirty. And I know I care about this because every time I have seen or heard something regarding this, I have felt bad. Bad about letting it happen, being helpless and not being able to stop it.
      And finally I am sick of just talking, talking and hearing people. Because that's what people do, talk. We need to act; we need to cause the change.
      And about the support bit. Sorry you can't have my support, because I am in this with you.

      PS: I just hope all this rage in you doesn’t die out.

      Delete
    3. And THAT is exactly the reason Im doing this.

      If you're in this, that's the best thing I could ask for. Thanks a lot. And no, the rage wont die. Never has, Never will.

      Delete
  9. if only SOMEONE is willing to take up that step and maybe look forward and beyond the obstacle blocking the way !!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. All i have to say is wow!!! i honestly didnt think there wer that many people who thought the same way i did and clearly u just opened my eyes. youre clearly taking a step in the right direction and even i have political aspirations of this kind but when publicly voiced these opinions alicit the same kind of reply that most seem to get. Politics may not seem like a viable career seeing as how the gandhis seem to dominate it and its such a "dirty game"but obviously with extremely ambitious people like you as future prospectives atleast the future doesnt seem so bleak... you definitely have my support, maybe we can start our own political party :p

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for that.

    Btw, Already decided to start, and starting a party. That's what the article ends with.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey I nominated you for a Liebster Award! Congratulations! Check out the details and rules on my blog: realiction.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. thevidiya payale onakku oru vote kuda varadhu, loosu maadhiri olaradha

    ReplyDelete